What you’ll learn
- LEARN the syntax and semantics of UML class diagrams (i.e. classes, relations and more).
- UNDERSTAND foreign and complex class diagrams.
- MODEL software requirements with UML class diagrams.
- USE design patterns to further enhance your class diagrams.
- PRESENT your own class diagrams to colleagues and clients.
- TRANSLATE software requirements into class diagrams.
- IMPLEMENT software (e.g. with Java) based on a given class diagram.
- Interest in software modeling.
- Basic knowledge of object orientation is useful, but not necessary.
UML Class Diagrams
Anyone who deals with UML can hardly get around class diagrams. They are a popular tool in software modeling and probably the most widely used UML diagram. You can model classes and relations between your classes to gradually build up complete software systems. Class diagrams help you communicate your modeling approaches and present your software to your clients. They are a great tool to talk about software and what needs to be done to fulfill given requirements.
In this course I will teach you a lot about UML class diagrams. Keep in mind, that this is not a UML complete course. I will focus on UML class diagrams completely. You will not only learn how to read and understand these diagrams, but also how to model them yourself. After this course you have everything you need to understand complex foreign class diagrams, model software systems elegantly yourself or together with your team and even present them to your clients. Of course, everything I teach requires some practice. In this course we work with a lot of examples! This course consists of six sections:
This is the introduction to the course. You will get to know how the course is structured, get access to additional learning material and we directly start with an overview of UML diagrams and a first exemplary class diagram.
In this section we will deal with basic concepts of class diagrams. You will get to know different kinds of classes and relations. After this section you will already be able to read and understand easy class diagrams and even model some small examples yourselves!
In this section we deal with more complex examples and concepts. We will still talk about classes and relations, but you will get information on advanced concepts to further improve your diagrams and model even more precise.
This section explains the area of application and syntax of one design pattern per video. A design pattern is a part of a class diagram made for reuse. You will learn valuable information on how and when to use each of these design patterns to enhance your class diagrams with proven solutions.
How do you even write code from a class diagram? In this section I will explain to you what you need to implement for classes, attributes, methods and the different types of relations. You will see that it is even possible to generate such code automatically.
In this last video I recap what you have learned in the course. Congratulations on coming this far!
Who this course is for
- Young Professionals who want to acquire expert knowledge.
- Programmers who deal with software modeling.
- (Computer Science) students preparing for a Software Engineering exam.
- Project Managers and others involved in IT projects.
- Everybody who is interested in software modeling with UML.
- Lectures 32
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 3 hours
- Skill level Intermediate
- Language English
- Students 467
- Assessments Yes
Introduction - What It's All About
Basic Concepts - Your First Class Diagrams
Advanced Concepts - Enhance Your Diagrams
Design Patterns - Reuse Generic Solutions
Code Generation - From Diagram to Code
The End - What Did You Learn